Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meatless Monday: Tofu with Thai Basil Stir-fry

I was browsing through blogs a couple of weeks ago, and came across one that got me really excited. You may have heard of it- it's called Sea Salt with Food. Apparently it's quite popular, and Angie Tee does an amazing job not only with providing original and classic recipes, but also with the photography. Her shots make you just want to lick the screen.

Anyway, I found a bunch of recipes to try, and this is the first one I did, although I adapted it to what ingredients I had available, so it's different enough that I can say it's not really her recipe, but largely based off of it. Please see the original recipe to find out what I did differently. Mainly, I am not a huge fan of oyster or fish sauce, and I already had sesame oil available so I used that instead of peanut oil. I also could not find bird's eye chilies anywhere, so I used chile paste and that worked quite well. At any rate, this came out so good I ate the whole batch in one sitting. You read that right. And I was quite full and satisfied once I was through.


Tofu with Thai Basil Stir-fry
(serves 4)

Ingredients:

1 package 14 oz firm tofu
1/2 lb bok choy
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Handful Thai basil
1/4 cup sesame oil + 2 tbsp
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
2 scallion stalks, diced
1 tsp red chile paste 
1/2 tsp corn flour
1 tsp sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels and press between to plates; place in fridge to drain overnight, or for at least 1 hour before preparation. Once the tofu is drained, slice into 3 pieces length-wise, then into 9 sections width-wise, so you have little squares like in the image below.



browned

Heat the 1/4 cup sesame oil in pan then add the tofu once hot. Fry the tofu on each side until golden brown. Set aside on paper towel to drain. Meanwhile, clear the pan (or use another pan) then heat the remainder of the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry until browned, then add the basil and bok choy, and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. 

stir-frying in the sun

Next, add the ginger, chile paste, soy sauce and corn flour, plus a little extra sesame oil if most has been drained from pan. Cook, stirring for another 3 minutes or until the flour is dissolved, and then add the tofu. Turn off heat and stir together until all components well-coated with the sauce. Serve with the scallion and sesame seeds on top, plus salt and pepper to taste. 

So, I'm on Instagram now, you can follow me @jkpherson

As amazing and delicious as this dish is, I'm sorry to say it's not exactly family-friendly due to the spiciness and "weird" ingredients. Of course, if you have kids who like Asian or already eat a typical Asian diet, then this should be no issue. To alter it to your family's tastes, omit the chile paste or replace the tofu with chicken. Using chicken would (obviously) not make it Meatless Monday-appropriate though.

This is going to be a new comfort food dish for me, I just know it.

Here are some other of the recipes I've bookmarked from Sea Salt just because they look too amazing not to share:






Lily did not have any and was not even interested in trying it. She had some stir-fried bok choy and broccoli instead with hummus and pita chips on the side. She is not a fan of tofu unless it is breaded and fried and no longer tastes like tofu.

Now, I have been trying to get a Meatless Monday recipe hop going, but have not had a whole lot of luck with that. So, I am not going to host a link-up today, BUT if you would like it if I did host one again, please let me know in the comments. This is not only because I am "giving up" for now, but also because I do not really have the time to promote it as well as I'd like to right now, but maybe I will in the future. I have seen other blogs have successful Meatless Monday link-ups, so I hope to one day too. I can wait though, and continue to focus more on the recipes, since that is what this blog is really all about.

Now, here is an adorable bonus picture of Lily from yesterday. She is clearly feeling much better :) 




Happy Monday! (if there is such a thing...)



14 comments:

  1. I had my goat cheese beet lentil salad all ready to share... oh well. I don't have a meatless recipe every week, but I will share with you on the weeks that I do.
    I will check out the website you recommended. I just started using Fleur de sel in my French cooking group and I have gotten curious about salts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding! I KNEW something like that would happen, lol. Thanks for letting me know, I will be keeping you in mind when I decide to relaunch the hop.

      Yes, please visit her site I think you will love it!

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks amazing! I have never cooked with tofu and I don't even know if my kids like it but if I can make something that looks as good as this, they just might eat it. Thanks for sharing!

    New follower from the Welcome Wednesday Hop! Please stop by http://birthofamom.blogspot.com and I'd love if you followed back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emily. Thanks for following, but you started following me last week and I already followed back.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love this recipe, we were just talking, the husband and I, about cooking more vegetarian meals. Thanks for this. Love, too the pic of your cutie pa tootie.

    Aloha,
    Following ya from the Sippy Cup Chronicles Hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you'd join us for the sweet ride. Also, we're cohosting our weekly Aloha Friday HOP and it'd be so sweet for other beautiful bloggers to find your site-- come join us if you please. It's the sweetest hop.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! Your blog is awesome! Let me know if you try the tofu ;)

      Delete
  4. Mmmm, that looks so yummy. I haven't cooked tofu before, but I'm wanted too. I think this is the recipe I'm going to give it a dry. It looks very yummy. You've got some fun recipes. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm considering meatless mondays myself. We don't eat meat every day but it's nice to get a schedule of meals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks SO delicious! I always order tofu dishes when we're out at places that have them! I found your blog via the Mom's Mingle and am happy to be your newest follower! I'd love for you to follow me back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, this looks delish!!!! I am vegetarian so this is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing! I love tofu stir fry. Visiting from the linky hop. Great to meet you and hope you can stop by http://www.dontmesswithmama.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so scared to try cooking tofu but this look so delish! Laura from Real Momma stopping by to say thanks for linking up to the Best of your Best Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok so I am not a tofu girl but I am assuming I could throw in chicken or shrimp right?
    Thanks so much for linking up at the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably use either of those, yes. Thanks for hosting! It's a great hop and I'll be back ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...