Monday, May 7, 2012

Post-Cinco de Mayo Meatless Monday Awesomeness!

 
Cinco de Mayo! Whoo-hoo! Yeah!

Well, today is Siete de Mayo, but I figured I am still within the allotted time span for celebrating holidays. And I did celebrate (somewhat) with a little dinner party I had with some good friends on Saturday. I was also invited to a party, but I did not make it out. That is how it usually goes with me these days…I just can’t hang like I used to. All my single, childless friends say they understand, but I think they secretly all just think I am a square now.

During my college days, Cinco de Mayo meant margaritas, Coronas, and housing bowls of guacamole after over-consuming too much of the former two beverages. I had no idea what the holiday was actually about, and guess what- I still don’t! So I did some research (donate to wikipedia if you can!), and here is what wikipedia had to say:


Not only that, but the day is called El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (in English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla) in Mexico, and it commemorates, “Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.”(LINK). OK, now I feel better because I learned something new and can look intelligent at the next Cinco de Mayo party I go to (that is, if I actually make it) when I ask other drunken party-goers if they know what the holiday commemorates. Score one for moi!

But, seriously. Now the holiday means consuming delicious Mexican food in my house, and that is what we did. I made Zesty Corn Fitters(LINK) and my traditional Basic Black Beans recipe- which I am so graciously about to share with you below, along with a simple green salad. My friends brought the Coronas and limes! Gotta have those! It was quite a nice evening, even though Lily was a bit on the rampage…

Basic Black Beans
(serves 10+ as a side dish!)

Ingredients:

4 cups cooked black beans
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
½ cup tomato sauce (unseasoned)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp annatto
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Heat the olive oil over low heat, then add the minced garlic and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the beans and mix well with the garlic and onion, then add the water. Bring to a bubbly simmer, and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, adding extra seasoning if desired. Serve with rice or corn fritters.



I failed to take a picture of the final product, but this is how it looks right before mixing in the remainder of the seasonings

See? Super easy! That’s how we like it, right? You can use this as is, or top with shredded cheese, or mix in any other tasty ingredient, such as:

  • Bell peppers
  • Jalapenos
  • Mixed diced vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, etc.)
  • Shredded or cubed meat (steak, chicken, pork and oxtail all work well- yes, oxtail! It's really good!)
  • Cilantro 

You can also use it a base for chili or blend it up for soup, like in this previous recipe I posted here. Beans are a hit with most people, and super good for you. Most kids dig them…at least I think. Tell me- do your kids like beans? Lily does…most of the time, anyway.

Beans are a staple in most Latin-American diets, and for good reason! They are not only yummy and go with just about any meal, but also aid in digestion. The rice helps to break down the heavy fibers in the beans that some people have difficulty digesting, although beans of course are worth the unfortunate, ahem, flatulence. They contain loads of B vitamins, help lower blood sugar, reduce the risk of many cancers, and help to make a healthy and functioning colon, among many other things.

Now for more fiesta!





And I know it's Meatless Monday and all, but this just looked to good not to share: Skirt Steak Tostadas with Spicy Black Beans and Fresh Mango Salsa from Baking with Blondie


Now here's a cute picture of Lily just because!


Having fun at the playground during a few hours of actual sunshine last week!


Enjoy! Let me know what you did for Cinco de Mayo in the comments below!!



8 comments:

  1. I am a (mostly) meatless eater and these recipes are great. I signed up to follow so I can keep tabs on your meatless delectables. I hope you have time to stop by my place and follow back if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna@onestepwoman.netMay 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

    I love this recipe and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from blog hop! Recipe looks great! Also if you review prducts I am hosting a favorite product friday link up party! Love for you to join!

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those beans, yummy!! I love all Mexican food. I could live on it. Thanks so much for the shout out about my frosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm... those beans look great!

    I made risotto on cinco de mayo. Just wrong, right?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another winning recipe...I love this! I am going to try it this week, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica!

    Love your blog too! I would be honored to featured! Thanks so much for linking up and for considering my blog to be featured. Have a great week!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love those beans! I have to constantly find vegetarian recipes for my husband and your blog has some really yummy looking recipes! I'm stopping by from IB4M and I'm a new follower :)

    Maribel
    http://alltangledupinknots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...