Friday, January 13, 2012

Banana Flax 'n Walnut Bread Machine Recipe

I love my bread machine! If you read my last post featuring a bread machine recipe, you already know why. They make things so convenient, and with one, anyone can be a baker! Here's a great new recipe for banana bread, yum! It can be made dairy-free as well, so it's perfect for those with allergies who enjoy fresh-baked bread.

Banana Flax 'n Walnut Bread 

Ingredients

1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp butter or canola or coconut oil
3 tbsp honey
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup ground flax flour
1 very ripe banana, mashed or sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1/4 cup flax seeds

Bring all ingredients to room temperature, then place all except the walnuts and flax seeds in bread machine according to instructions (mine has me place the wet ingredients in first, with the yeast on the top). Set the loaf size to 1.5 lbs on the "Basic Bread" setting, with crust setting however you want it (I normally use "Medium"). Turn it on, then add in the walnuts and flax seeds at the appropriate time if your machine has you add them in later in the cycle, and remember to remove the kneading blade before it starts to bake so you don't get a broken loaf. If you prefer, take the dough out after the kneading cycle has finished and mold it into a desired shape, then stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. After about 4 1/2 hours using the bread machine, you'll have fresh baked bread! 

Be sure to use a ripe banana!

Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine. My mom makes it from scratch by hand, and I have many fond memories enjoying it with some butter or peanut butter spread on top. Few things in life are better than warm banana bread.

I can't think of any kid who doesn't like banana bread either- it's sweet and healthy with the honey and whole wheat flour, too! And you know how much I love flax! Making bread with a bread machine is a perfect way to get your kids to help out without making much of a mess. It's simple to just measure the ingredients together then one-by-one place them in the machine together. Plus, what kid doesn't like pressing buttons? Lily loves fresh baked bread :)

Helping me scrape the sides of the bread pan, taken last summer





2 comments:

  1. This sounds so great. I love your blog. Thanks for your comment on mine so I could find you :) Will be following from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good... cute blog! I am a new follower from Bloggymoms... please stop by my site if you get a chance!
    http://livingwithporteous.blogspot.com/ and my facebook fan page!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-with-Porteous-blog/187697051252204

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...