Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Too busy to post and cook, so here's a Meatless Wednesday!


I’ve been quite busy lately. So much so that I rarely post on my other blog anymore, but I am doing my best to keep it up here. I’ve been busy for a number of reasons.

1.    We’re moving this weekend, so that’s a big project for obvious reasons.
2.    Father’s Day weekend was pretty full with a pleasant church ceremony, brunch with my dad, and spending time with Lily’s daddy of course
3.    Working from home obviously takes up a nice chunk. I had a fun project to work on last week that proved to be fruitful despite the long hours put into it
4.    My sister is due to give birth any day now, so that’s been mental busy-ness
5.    My grandmother is in town this week
6.    It’s finally officially summer!!!!

Yes, lots going on. Planning and packing and working and mommying and all that stuff that falls in between. Whew! So, yeah, cooking’s been kept simple and to a minimum when possible. We’ve been eating a lot of perishables that are readily available due to the move and trying to clear out the freezer. So, what do you get when you decide to use fresh and frozen veggies along with mixed dairy? CREAMY CURRY!!!! (yes, another curry recipe! I just love my curries!).

So, if you didn’t have a Meatless Monday, have a Meatless Wednesday instead and I’ll also post a second recipe this week for the teriyaki I’ve got in the slow cooker right now. Then, since it’s summer and all, I’ll try to fire up the bbq and get some tasty grilling recipes here, since I do know quite a few.

Creamy Curried Veggies over Rice

2 cups jasmine rice
1 cup of each (fresh or frozen): corn kernels, chopped carrots, peas
1 cup milk
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp shredded coconut
¼ tsp salt

Cook the rice in a large pot or rice cooker. While that’s cooking, steam the veggies for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the butter and flour together, stirring to avoid lumps. Then mix the curry and salt in stirring until well blended. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring, for about 1 minute. Bring back down to a low simmer and stir until smooth. Add the coconut and cook for about 2 minutes more. This will add a light sweetness to the sauce, but you can omit if you prefer it to be extra spicy. Simmer and stir until at an appropriate taste and consistency. Feel free to add a little water if it’s too thick or more coconut or curry depending on how sweet or spicy you want it to be. Spoon the vegetables over rice on a shallow plate then add a few scoops of sauce over it. Makes 4-6 servings.

I used edamame instead of peas here because that's what I had, but I'd recommend peas. Any vegetables you have on hand that go with sweet and spicy, like potatoes and peppers, will work with this

You can also use coconut milk in place of milk if you want; that’s what I probably would’ve done if I’d had some on hand, but like I said, I was just using what I had readily available.

Lily also liked this style of curry since it was so buttery and creamy. She especially loved it on the carrots. For baby you can puree any of the veggies you have on hand and blend with rice cereal and/or milk. For tots:

2-3 tbsp mixed steamed veggies
2-3 tbsp rice
1 dollop of creamy curry sauce on top

Mix it all up and let your toddler feed themself. If baby objects to the curry, just add some butter for flavor or leave it as it is. I always use salt-free organic butter for Lily.

One of Lily’s current favorite vegetables is the carrot. She seems to be going through an unfortunate phase (yet again) of not wanting to eat her veggies unless they are covered in sauce or cheese. Sometimes not even then! But, carrots she will not object. This is most likely due to the fact that they are sweeter than most vegetables since Lily does not object to any fruit whatsoever. Her new favorite in that department is watermelon!

I also want to mention that today Lily used a spoon all by herself for the first time! She treated herself to some peaches and yogurt…yum! SO proud of my little angel!

Happy summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...